Summers of Data, 4th July
People! It’s time for our first hack as a fully formed and funded CiC. Summers of Data is a super relaxed 1-day hack on 4th July to celebrate our new Independence. (You saw what we did there.)
We have lots of local data in a beautiful data store, free food/drink, cash prizes and a warm welcome for all.
The Short Version…
Date: Saturday 4th July 9am – 6.30pm
Venue: The Guild Co-working Hub, High Street, Bath BA1 5EB
Max. participants: 45
Team size: 1+
Eligibility: If you love making things and solving problems (or have a local problem to solve) you’re in.
Tickets: Book here FREE »
Who should come?
This should be our most open event yet: The first year was spent working closely with BANES to carve out data, build a data store and get open data enshrined into policy. That meant we were mainly a team of developers and council staff.
Since those battles are largely won, our job now is to use data, solve problems with data, visualise it and tell stories with it.
– Artists & creatives
– Data analysts
– Public sector staff
– Charity & community workers
Not every team turns up complete, and not every team has a hack idea. That’s why we’ll be running icebreakers and a matching board to help you find the right people to work with.
Themes & Prizes
It’s relaxed. The only rule this time around is that your project contains some local open data: Mash it with other data, visualise it, make an app or tell a data story with art – it’s all up to you.
Teams can win one (or more) of the following categories:
Best Story (£100)
Tell us something about where we live; a story that educates, inspires or just plain titillates, based on local data.
Best Community Solution (£100)
Awarded to the team that solves a local problem for our residents using open data.
People’s Choice (£100)
Which team did you most admire? Awarded by popular vote of hack participants.
Best Overall Project (£200)
Awarded to the team judged to have made the best of the hack across any/all categories.
- Registration: 9am – set up, welcome words & icebreakers
- Hack Kick Off: 10am
- Hacking Ends: 4pm
- Team Presentations: 4.30pm
- Judging & Prizes: 5.30pm – 6pm
- Event ends: 6.30pm
- Pub decompression: 7pm (optional)
The Guild needs no introduction as Bath’s finest co-working hub, located right in the heart of Bath. It’s also an amazing place to hack with comfy workspace, screens, A/V and a blistering fast Internet connection courtesy of Gradwell.
Address: High Street, Bath BA1 5EB
We’ll be providing free lunch to all participants. There’s also a plentiful supply of free tea and coffee, plus fizzy drinks (£1) chocolate (50p) available from The Guild. A small tipple will probably be on hand too.
If you have special dietary requirements, do please let us know.
Confirmation to follow. As always, our judges will be friendly and totally know their stuff.
- Teams who want to be considered for prize(s) should submit a short slide deck presentation to our A/V staff by 4.15pm
- 4.30pm – 5.30pm: rapid fire presentations, strictly no longer than 3 minutes per team
- Presentations should be structured as follows: max. 30 seconds to state the problem, max. 30 seconds to state the tools/data used and the remaining time to show what you made. Feel free to use wireframes, screenshots or anything beautiful.
- Time constraints won’t allow for project Q&As. Sorry!
- Projects don’t have to be shipped to be eligible for a prize but judges will give extra weight to complete projects.
- All teams are eligible to win one or more prize categories – go for it.
- Minimum team size: 1
- Maximum team size: Unlimited!
How to book
This is the easy bit: Tickets are completely free from our Meetup page. RSVP right now »
We have strictly 45 seats available. Please book early. Really.
Everything we do only happens with the support of our sponsors. Please share the love for the mighty…
If you’re a talented developer and are interested in working in the heart of Bath then head on over to the blubolt jobs page – they’ve got some great jobs for you.