CfP: Open Data Track – 2014 Conference for E-Democracy and Open Government
I’m co-chairing a track on ‘Open Data, Transparency and Open Innovation‘ at the next CeDEM Conference for E Democracy and Open Government, taking place at Danube University Krems in May next year.
The full call for papers and submission details can be found here, and the details of the Open Data Track are below:
Open Data, Transparency and Open Innovation
Chairs: Johann Höchtl (Danube University Krems, AT), Ina Schieferdecker (Frauenhofer, DE), Tim Davies (University of Southampton, UK)
Open data can provide a platform for many forms of democratic engagement: from enabling citizen scrutiny of governments, to supporting co-production of public data and services, or the emergence of innovative solutions to shared problems. This track will explore the opportunities and challenges for open data production, quality assurance, supply and use across different levels of governance. Key themes include:
- Open data policy and politics: opportunities and challenges for governments; the global spread of open data policy; transparency and accountability, economic innovation, drivers for open data; benefits and challenges for developing countries.
- Licensing and legal issues: copyright vs. open licenses & creative commons; Freedom of Information and the ‘right to data’; information sharing and privacy.
- Open data technologies: technical frameworks for data and meta-data; mash-ups; data formats, standards and APIs; integration into backend systems; data visualisation; data end-users and intermediaries;
- Open innovation and co-production: open data enabled models of public service provision; government as a platform; making open data innovation sustainable; data and democracy; connecting open data and crowdsourcing; data and information literacy;
- Evidence and impacts: costs and benefits of providing or using open data; emerging good practices; methods for open data research; empirical data measuring open data impacts
Submissions are due by 6th January 2014.